Iowa One Call provides contractors, homeowners, and others who may be excavating, digging or trenching with a single toll-free number to call for locating and marking underground facilities. The
toll-free Iowa One Call number is 1-800-292-8989.
As of April 2007, the national 811 three-digit dialing system allows easy access to Iowa One Call. Now it's easier than ever to request underground facility locates, just dial 811.
Iowa law states that if you are excavating, including digging, you must call Iowa One Call at least 48 hours in advance (of your digging) in order to minimize the risk of damaging any type of
underground facilities (electric, gas, communications/television, water and sewer). The service is free, and so is the phone call. Making the phone call can help eliminate the risk of disrupting
service, and greatly reduce the potential risk of serious personal injury.
Iowa's One Call Center operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and is staffed by a team of 40 customer service representatives under the direction of the Iowa One Call manager. The Center has
34 incoming toll-free telephone lines, 14 outgoing lines, 5 direct lines and an 800-fax line.
Iowa One Call representatives handle more than 400,000 calls and coordinate more than two million locate requests per year in communities throughout Iowa. Historically, the Center's peak periods
are during spring and fall, when customer service representatives handle up to 50,000 calls per month.
Here are some quick facts about Iowa One Call and the service we provide:
- Iowa One Call was started as a voluntary service in 1980 by Northwestern Bell (now US WEST Communications) and Iowa-Illinois Gas & Electric (now MidAmerican Energy Company) in order to
maintain the integrity of their utility systems.
- Since January 1, 1993, all owners and operators of underground facilities are required by Iowa State law to participate in Iowa One Call. Membership is now close to 1,500.
- Iowa One Call provides excavators, including contractors and homeowners, with a single toll-free number to call for locating and marking underground facilities including electric, gas,
telecommunications, cable television, water and sewer: 1-800-292-8989.
- Iowa's One Call Center operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Iowa One Call receives requests for underground facility locations from persons excavating, including digging, in the state of Iowa. Iowa One Call then sends these requests to participating
operators who have facilities in the area of the excavation. Each underground facility operator is responsible for marking their facilities with paint or flags.
- The toll-free Iowa One Call number is 1-800-292-8989. The service provided by Iowa One Call is free of charge, as is the phone call. The cost is paid in full by participating underground facility
- Iowa One Call's Board of Directors is elected by operators, excavators and other persons who participate in the notification center. Directors do not receive compensation for serving on the
- An annual report of Iowa One Call is filed with the Iowa Utilities Board and is available for review.
- Iowa One Call is neither a utility nor a locating service. Iowa One Call owns no facilities and does not locate underground facilities.